Real estate underwriting isn’t a commonly used term within the residential world. If you’re used to dealing with single-family homes, duplexes, triplexes, or quadplexes, you’ve probably done real estate underwriting to some degree, but you’ve called it “real estate analysis”. In both scenarios, investors are looking at what they’ll make on a deal, how much they need to invest, and what exit strategies they have.
But, in a hot housing market, like we’re in today, by the time you analyze a deal, a deal may already be gone. You need a way to quickly sort deals into the “pursue” or “dump” piles, and Andrew Cushman, expert multifamily investor, may have just the solution for you. Andrew has been on the BiggerPockets podcast before and manages over 2,600 units, so he definitely knows what he’s talking about!
Today, Andrew showcases the phase one underwriting he uses to decide quickly on deals, as well as the four levers to look at before even getting into underwriting. His system can save you hours, or even days, if you’re a full-time investor, and it helps rookie investors quickly analyze deals so they can get into the game. Now, residential owners can transition into commercial real estate with better scale and bigger profits.
Click here to listen on Apple Podcasts.
Listen to the Podcast Here
Read the Transcript Here
Watch the Episode Here
Help Us Out!
Help us reach new listeners on iTunes by leaving us a rating and review! It takes just 30 seconds and instructions can be found here. Thanks! We really appreciate it!
In This Episode We Cover:
- How Andrew scaled from zero to 2,600 units in only ten years
- The basic screening process that allows you to triage your deals and waste less time
- Four levers every investor should look at when analyzing a new deal
- The six factors of phase one multifamily underwriting and using it to unlock “home runs”
- Developing and nurturing broker relationships so you can get off-market deals before your competition
- And So Much More!